New Grower for Greenslate,
we are hiring
14 hours per week on a flexible system
Greenslate Community Farm is seeking an enthusiastic and self motivated individual to join the team as a grower, managing approximately 6 acres of land.
The successful candidate will have a passion for, and detailed understanding of food growing, sustainability and environmentally sensitive land management. They will also demonstrate strong people- and time- management skills, and the ability to plan, prioritise and communicate effectively.
The duties specific to this role are as follows:
- Designing and implementing a growing strategy for the farm.
- Implementing all horticultural activities on site including planting, watering, ground preparation and general development of the growing areas, as well as ordering seeds and equipment.
- Ensuring the growing areas including polytunnels, greenhouse and fields are maintained in a safe condition and any health and safety concerns are reported to the management team
- Ensuring that the organic and permaculture principles of the farm are upheld in all growing activities and that sustainable farming methods are explored and utilised whenever possible (e.g. regenerative agriculture).
- Liaising with and directing other staff and the care farm in growing activities
- Organising and directing volunteers in food growing activities
- Liaising with the Animal Welfare Manager regarding integration of the animals into the growing regime and land usage.
- Liaising with the Café team regarding supply to the cafe
- Attending regular planning meetings.
- Preparing produce for the shop display.
- Responding to feedback and demand relating to shop produce.
- Maintaining a general understanding of the farm activities and opportunities in order to promote the farm as whole to visitors and the general public.
This is a permanent contract for 14 hours per week on a flexible system. The salary is £7280 per annum. Greenslate Farm operates a workplace pension scheme.
Important - growing plan presentation - you need this if you are attending an interview.
As part of the interview process for this job, you will be asked to give a presentation on how you plan to run the growing project at Greenslate Community Farm. You can view the requirements for this presentation and download a .pdf file of the notes by clicking the button below.